Saturday, November 15, 2008

Temple of the Six Banyan Trees

This morning we took the babies to be blessed at the Liurong Temple, also known as the Temple of the Six Banyan Trees. This is a famous temple that dates back to around 500AD, when a temple was first erected on this site. The huge pagoda was built in 1097AD and was called the "Thousand Buddha Pagoda" because it has a thousand buddha images in it. It was later renamed the Liurong (Six Banyan Trees) Temple because of the beautiful banyan trees that surround it.

Here is the pagoda:


Look at the dragon details (I love the dragons):


I also love the detail in this door:

Here is the Grand Hall where the babies were blessed:


And these are the benevolent buddha images who look over the blessing:


Here is the monk who blessed us:


Do Gemma and I look blessed?


We say our prayers and burn incense:


Here are Chris and Edie praying after burning incense:


Edie is reflective:


After our spiritual visit, it was only fitting that we would pass this Christmas decoration mart on the streets of Guangzhou!

No comments: