Saturday, November 15, 2008

Guangdong Folk Art Museum

I love my two girls, but I would have loved to have more time (without the girls) to spend in this museum today. This amazing collection of Chinese handicrafts - embroidery, ceramics, weaving, carving and etching - is housed in the Chen Ancestral Hall, which is a stunning building comprising nineteen rooms, and courtyards and verandas. The building was built in the late 1800s by branches of the Chen family in 72 counties of Guangdong province. I guess with that many families contributing, you can really add some nice features - like endless rooftop carvings and wall after wall and ceiling after ceiling of intricately carved mahagony and stone. My few photographs provide just a glimpse....



This is the main interior courtyard:


The entire roof that you see across the middle of the courtyard, and the entire roofline of the building is covered with carvings that look like this close-up:






All right, all right, you want to see Gemma? Here are a couple of photos - I promise more tomorrow! We had a long day, ended by a pizza and beer party in our room tonight. We just got the girls to sleep an hour ago, and Chris is already passed out on the sofa watching college football. Just like home!


No comments: