Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Last Day of School and Pierced Ears

Edie's last day of school was today. Third grade here she comes! Gemma has been in a June camp at her preschool, and has two more days of school. This means Edie and I have two mornings together!


Edie's 8th birthday is also approaching, and as our gift to her this year, Chris and I allowed her to get her ears pierced. For a long time I kept thinking she should be older to have her ears pierced, but thanks to a dear friend of mine whose perspective on everything changed once her son had a life threatening brain trauma two years ago, I realized that life can be short and not everything has to wait. Edie has been interested in getting her ears pierced for over two years and she impressed us with her willingness to "research" by asking her friends about their experiences and how they cared for their ears after piercing. She even went to the mall with me about a year ago to see the guns that are used for piercing so that she could "prepare" herself. Edie is very nervous about doctor visits and shots, so I knew she must really want her ears pierced if she was willing to try to overcome her fears about it.


She was very brave about the process until she actually got into the chair at Claire's. While they cleaned and marked her ears she was quiet but when both of the women stood by her with the guns at the ready (they pierce both ears at one time to make it go faster) she started to tear up and cry. I knew how much she wanted this done and did not allow her to back out of it - I knew how much more unhappy she would be if I did that - so I got her to calm herself enough to hold still and in an instant it was done. She smiled, and said it didn't hurt a bit! I love that she chose little rubies (her birthstone) for her earrings.

No comments: