Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Gemma's First Graduation

Gemma began attending a toddler playgroup/day care in September. This amazing program has been run for years by a woman named Dieke, and everyone refers to this program as "Dieke's House." Dieke runs her group to match the public school calendar (a HUGE bonus). Six children, all 2-years old, attend M-W-F and six different children attend T-Th. I am always in awe of Dieke - she manages these wild toddlers with complete love and a firm hand. She lets them draw, paint, and practice all kinds of crafts. She helps them master puzzles, songs, and dances and exercises. She reads to them and lets them play outside in her lovely backyard whenever the weather allows it. And, if that wasn't enough, Dieke feeds the children incredible hot lunches (she bakes her own bread!) and helps potty train them. My goodness, I would love Gemma to stay with her for another year or two!

Initially, I was nervous about sending Gemma to Dieke's House, wondering how she would cope being away from me and with a group of five other children. That lasted about a week. Gemma has blossomed under Dieke's care, and has made great strides in sharing, cooperative play and impulse control. Gemma will always remember her sweet playgroup friends: Emma, Clara, Julianna, Noah and Henry.

Last week, Dieke held a "graduation party" for the kids. She helped the children make caps and gowns and then both groups of children got together for a potluck lunch with their parents, and they each received their diplomas. And, get this, Dieke sewed these adorable dresses for the girls and the shorts and matching shirts for the boys.

I don't think I need to add how much we will miss Dieke.







No comments: